Performing Nostalgia - Migration Culture and Creativity in South Albania
In addition, the study provides a fascinating overview about the current state of a rarely documented vocal tradition in Europe that is a part of the mosaic of Mediterranean singing traditions. It refers to the challenges imposed onto this practice by heritage politics, the dynamics of retraditionalisation and musical globalisation. In this sense the book constitutes an important study to the dynamics of postsocialism as seen from a musicological perspective.
• Vocal multipart practice in Albania
• Reading the absences - approaching the field
• Migration and mobility in Albania
• Migration, emotions and creativity
• Migration in performance - village feasts and nostalgia
• ʽThe deep woundʼ - memorialising migration
• Two absences - migration up to death
• Conclusion: sound, space and mobility - lessons from the Albanian case
• Bibliography; Index.